If you're planning on making some Cyber Monday purchases, here are a few tips to keep you safe.
- Use a clean machine – make sure all your software, apps, and virus protections are up to date before starting your online purchases. This helps keep malware from stealing your account information.
- Watch out for phishing emails claiming unauthorized account activity or the need to verify details. Always contact the financial institution directly.
- Another phishing attempt may come in phony ads and offers that appear to be from companies you already shop with. A few letters off in the address bar can lead to Identity Theft. Be extra careful when clicking links in emails. When in doubt contact the company directly to verify the deal.
- Only enter your personal info into websites that begin with https://. This indicates the site offers a secure connection for the transfer of sensitive information.
- If you find an incredible deal on a new website – do some research and check reviews before shopping with the site.
- Only give the information needed to complete the transaction, the required fields.
- Don’t make purchases or login into financial and other sensitive accounts over public Wi-Fi Hotspots.
- Use two-factor authentication on your accounts – Remember to Lock Down Your Login.
*Ref: Call For Action